Finalists:It sounds like an interesting finals format; I like it. Personally, I'm glad to see we've gotten away from one-game, winner-take-all championships.Aadam
Sleepy Weasel (alternate, playing in Peter's slot)Time: 9E/6P
Date: Thursday April 30
Format: First player to win two games is declared the winner; solo wins only; April Fools Pods will be in play. A series of combos will be played, in order, until one player has won two games.
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Saturday, April 25, 2009
First appearance: Eon base set
Plain-English power: Multiply your ships by your card (and then add allies).
Loved by: Low-total-wins powers, math nerds.
Loathed by: The rest of the cosmos.
Three ways to win as Virus:
- Don't be a bully. Virus is naturally an "outcast" power - everyone will hate you as soon as its sheet is turned face-up. Being nice in the early going (such as not blowing people up with four ships and a 15) will stop it from getting any worse.
- Your ships are valuable. Risk as few as you can in the opening so you'll have more left over in the end-game, where most good cards (such as the Zaps) are gone and you can really blow people away.
- If Anti-Matter or Loser is in the game, do what it takes to get the 00 card. Zero times anything is zero. (With that in mind, be very careful about having one of your home colonies vaccinated.)
Three ways to win against Virus:
- Deplete his resources. Use the Plague. Play N's. Target him as Vacuum or Hacker. Ionic Gas him. Virus can still bring it with few ships and low cards, so destroy as many as you can.
- Don't invite him. Virus generally doesn't need help getting a colony, and you don't want him to get more stuff (see #1).
- If you must go toe-to-toe with Virus (such as when he's going for the win), then just Zap him. Power-wise, Anti-Matter and Loser have an easy time dealing with him, while other powerhouses such as Warrior have a decent chance.
— Submitted by Toomai Glittershine
Friday, April 24, 2009
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Monday, April 13, 2009
Official word of Starlog's demise came in a posting last week on the Starlog.com site, buried five paragraphs deep in an update informing readers that Starlog.com had relaunched in beta as part of a "massive digital initiative" and touting the fact that a "Digital store," to launch next month, will feature digital editions of the entire Starlog catalog.Yeah, that's just what the world needs: yet another "web portal" that tries to do too many things at once and fails at most of them. Epic fail.
And, yes, there is a Cosmic Encounter connection here. I'm almost positive that Future Pastimes used to run ads in Starlog, circa 1979 or 1980. I'm going to leaf through my back issues* to see if I can find one, scan it, and post it here.
(The video, BTW, is from 1984, and was an actual commercial from back in the days when we all got very few channels and didn't get to see any boobies on TV. That's how cool Starlog used to be; it had it's own frickin' commercial)
* I have the first 225 issues, all bagged and boarded. Because I'm awesome.
Saturday, April 11, 2009
(Sidebar: I considered posting the link to the relevant Fantasy Flight Games page, which has the same information contained in one thread. In theory, this would be easier, right? Everything would be in one place. Here's an indication, though, of how brutally unreadable and user-unfriendly the FFG forums are: I don't want to subject anyone to having to read all of that white-on-gray text, and I don't want to be responsible for the interface-induced frustration that would be felt by anyone attempting to actually respond to the post. Sorry, FFG fans, but those forums are just plain awful.)
Okay, be that as it may, let's focus on the good stuff. Once again, here's 100 new aliens to play with, including quite a few that are intended for use with the new FFG edition. Go crazy, yo.
Friday, April 10, 2009
Either way, here's your latest update, my funny little lobby lizards:
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
For once, my feelings are lining up with the popular vote. Depending on the situation, I'll take my wins where I can get them, especially against top-level opponents.