Here's a question I never get tired of posing to Cosmic Encounter players. I've asked it in blog form, on messageboards, in the Cosmic Encounter Online lobby, and in general conversation with CE fans.
Here's the scenario:
You are a finalist in the Cosmic Encounter World Championships. You will be playing one game, with a $10,000 prize for first place — and it's winner-take-all. Second place will get nothing; third place will get nothing ... I'm sure you get the idea.
Here's some other specifics:
- Five foreign bases are needed to win;
- The game must be won solo; no shared victory is allowed;
- Flares will be included in the game, but no other "extras" will be used (no kickers, no lucre, no reinforcements, etc.)
- For the sake of discussion (and because this is an exercise in imagination), just assume you'll be playing with the rules set you're most familiar with.
And now for the fun part: you get to pick your alien! Woot!
Again, some requirements:
- For the sake of discussion, just assume your four opponents have no interest in your preferred alien;
- Published aliens only! No homebrews allowed. (And "published" doesn't include old magazines or fanzines, or published on the internet ... it means, basically, Eon, Mayfair, Avalon Hill, or FFG)
So, there's $10,000 on the line — but you have to win. Which alien would you pick?
(I'll add my own answer in the comments later. And, trust me, that answer will not be "Virus" ...)