Plain-English power: Play an encounter card face down and just say what it is (often legally lying about it).
Loved by: People with good poker faces.
Loathed by: The insecure and the gullible.
Three ways to win as Gambler:
- If you don't have that many ships in the warp, you can afford to bluff more freely. It helps if you attack with only 2 ships (then you'll only lose 2 more ships if your bluff is called).
- When your opponent reveals his or her card, take a moment to "do the math" before declaring what your card it (especially when you are NOT bluffing and your card is giving you a higher total). Your opponent may be more likely to call your bluff and suffer additional losses.
- When you play a negotiate, and your opponent reveals a decent attack card, look disappointed and then declare your card is a negotiate. You may be able to trick your opponent into calling your bluff this way as well. You'll still lose the encounter, but you'll at least sting your opponent.
- Use negotiates early to get cards away from your opponents. It helps you if there are players that know about certain cards in your hand. If you get the 30 or the 40, you want players to know you have it. You can bluff about that for several encounters.
Three ways to win against Gambler:
- When you only have 1 or 2 ships in the encounter, call the Gambler's bluff, especially when he has beaten you by a small margin, or declared that he played a big attack card. Even if he did play the 40 after all, it's good to know that is no longer in his hand.
- Late in the game, when resources are spread thin, Gambler is less likely to attack you with 4 ships AND bluff about his card. Maybe he's hoping to scare you into accepting the totals, but you may have to chance the extra losses yourself.
- Reinforcements are rarely factored into Gambler's bluffing. If you have some, you may be able to overcome his totals, even if he is bluffing.
- Keep in mind that there are several cards in the encounter deck that are not duplicated. If one has already been played (or you are holding it), and Gambler says he's playing it, call that bluff! These cards appear only once in the base deck: 40, 30, 23, 15, 13, 12, 11, 09, 07, 05, 01, 00, Morph.
— Submitted by Jack Reda