Plain-English power: If you lose all of your ships, you win.
Loved by: Anyone who enjoys playing with reckless abandon; sadists.
Loathed by: Strong offensive powers like Virus and Anti-Matter.
Three ways to win as Masochist:
- Get your hands on (or Card Zap) the two Mobius Tubes cards. Be ready to Plague yourself when the time is right. Also, if you are lucky enough to pull the Omega Missile as your tech, then pile all of your ships onto one planet and blow it up for a possible instant win. [editor's note: LAWL! Death Star! Nice one.]
- Ally with anyone who will take you, and always send four ships. Then play your reinforcements to help the opposite side.
- Remember that you can still win the normal way if you end up with strong cards late in the game. A sudden reversal in your tactics can catch your opponents unaware.
- The best weapon is the wild Reincarnator flare. If you are lucky enough to get this then wait till he has stripped down to two or fewer planets (just to be on the safe side) and play it, forcing him to draw a new power.
- Strategic use of Mobius Tubes is key. If you get one, then wait out Masochist for as long as your own ship situation can handle it. Also, if you have the Delta Scanners tech, use it to pull back a spent Mobius Tubes.
- Keep Masochist out of alliances; his presence usually benefits him regardless of outcome. Also, attack where he has the least number of ships, and don’t play Negotiate cards against him. In the event of a deal, it's likely as much to his benefit to lose three ships as it is to gain a planet.
Anything else? Masochist, one of a number of former homebrews to become official in the FFG edition, is credited to Matt Stone.
— Submitted by Jordan Browne