Plain-English power: May keep encounter card played by opponent.
Loved by: Mutant; Hacker; kleptomaniacs; impulse-buyers; magicians.
Loathed by: Clone.
Three ways to win as Filch:
- If someone reveals they have your Flare (quite possibly by being caught stealing), maneuver towards taking Compensation from them.
- The power, at its core, implies that you'll be picking only good cards ... and that your foes will be trying to extract Compensation from you to get at those cards. Negotiate frequently to discourage this tactic, and pick up every card you can so that if you do get raided, it's less likely that you'll lose good cards.
- Be on the lookout for an ace in the hole against powers like Anti-Matter, Loser, and other aliens who have bizarre encounter resolutions.
- Keep a Card Zap ready to blow his Flare away, and a Cosmic Zap in case someone plays Attack 30 or 40 against him.
- Keep your Attack cards played against Filch in the teens or lower if you can manage it.
- Filch tends to ensure good cards stay in circulation ... in his hand. Using him as Compensation fodder (rather than for gaining colonies) is a sound practice.
— Submitted by Zach Gaskins