Plain-English power: Subtract the lower card from the higher card.
Loved by: Oracle, Math Club nerds.
Loathed by: Virus, Tripler, and players who already have to count on their fingers to figure out their side's total.
Three ways to win as Calculator:
- Know the deck. (Easier at CE Online, where there are fewer different attacks).
- Know your math. If you have more ships on your side, do some quick math to find the highest card you can win with, even if you equalize and your card is higher.
- Know your foes. Watch your opponents carefully. Notice a trend of low cards? Don't calculate! The better you can guess their play, the better you can make yours.
- Gather allies. If the numbers are on your side, you can employ Calculator's own tactics against him, finding a safe card that is good, whether equalized or not.
- Save your high (18-plus) cards for him.
- Don't outguess yourself. If you play low against Calculator every time, he is going to stop equalizing.
Anything else? Rumor has it that Calculator was the 50th and final alien to make the cut for the FFG edition. Or maybe not. That's why they call them "rumors."
— Submitted by Adam-Paul Rouse